How to write an awesome thank you note
Gratitude is the basis for writing thank you notes and writing a thank you note is an easy way to show your gratitude to others. With a little bit of practice and intention your thank you notes will be awesome.
What makes a Thank You Note Awesome?
* Handwrite the note. Handwritten thank you notes feel more personal. They will make more of an impact and leave a longer lasting impression. They take more time than an email, text, Facebook message, or tweet. Taking a few minutes to handwrite the note will make you stand out.
* Be specific in your thank you note. This is the #1 tip for awesomeness in your thank you note. Write exactly what you are thankful for and why you are appreciative. A generic thank you note that doesn’t include details, while it may be thoughtful, could leave the recipient wondering what you are thanking them for. Describe how you used the gift. If you received money say what you plan to do with or what you spent it on.
* Take your time and be intentional with the words you choose. Do NOT use words that you would never say in person to someone. The thesaurus is not always your friend.
* Spell words correctly. If you need to type out the thank you note in a program that includes spell check then take the extra time to do that.
* Write legibly. If the person can’t read your scribbles than it will be a waste of your time and theirs. If you tend to have messy handwriting, try writing your note slowly and focus on making it readable.
Writing the AWESOME thank you note:
This template can be used for most gifts, service, help, etc.
Dear [insert name of gift giver],
Thank you for the [gift]. [Insert specific detail about gift]. [Insert optional one or two
sentences about the gift of seeing the person again, etc.] [Insert closing],
[Sign your Name]
Thank you for having me over for dinner. I loved the meal and the homemade apple pie was delicious! I look forward to see you again soon.
Thank you for [insert book name]. I look forward to reading it soon. I am very touched that you remembered I wanted this book when I mentioned it a few months ago.
I appreciate your help with my flat tire this week. Since you came to my rescue I was able to avoid calling a tow truck. When I took the tire in for repair there was a nail in it! Thank you for taking time out of your day to help me out.
More Information: I encourage you to read writing your first thank you note. It will go over mindset issues and more information on getting started. I’ve also written an outline that goes over the 5 easy steps to writing a thank you note. If you are looking for examples a specific topic check out the Contents page to see there is a post on that topic yet.
Thank you note guide with examples
I’d like to invite you to subscribe to my newsletter. The newsletter will contain tips, and more information on writing thank-you notes, and gratitude.
As a thank you, you’ll get instant access to my Mini Thank You Note Writing Guide.
Enter your email address below!